On Monday, April 11, Walmart announced their new slogan today: “Low prices. Every day. On everything.” This replaces “Save money. Live better.” – Walmart’s slogan since September, 2007. The new slogan was first seen by most shoppers in Walmart’s April 10 ad circular. A new ad campaign will promote the slogan and their new price-matching policy.
“Walmart is broadening product assortment by approximately 8,500 items or 11 percent in an average store. These assortment changes will bring back customers’ favorite local food and consumables, among other products.”
Some implications for CPG players:
• Don’t wait. There may never be a better time to get your products on Walmart’s shelves. Make some of those 8,500 items yours.
• Expect other retailers to follow and expand assortment. in 2009, many retailers reduced SKU’s to follow Walmart’s Project Impact initiative.
• Products de-listed at Walmart since 2009 may have an advantage as store shelve will soon include “It’s Back” flags for returning SKU’s.
• While Walmart’s new “Ad Match Guarantee” promises to match prices, look for some retailers to promote “beating” competitor prices.
• High-Low retailers may be more difficult for Walmart to monitor and match without margin implications.
• This new focus on price matching may accelerate the use of smart phones in store aisles.
• Expect some retailers to expand their premium private label offerings and unique pack sizes that cannot be price-matched.
Here is a link to Walmart’s April 11 press release: http://walmartstores.com/pressroom/news/10573.aspx